Monday, September 19, 2011

Well, It's Official!

Saturday marked my official commitment to the Benedicta Riepp program!! I can't believe the first month has flown by so fast!

My family came out for the weekend, which included my Mom, brother, sister, our grandma, and 4 close family friends, two of whom live here in Erie. It was so great to see everyone and to share this special place with them.

The commitment ceremony was held Saturday night right after prayer at the beginning of dinner. As our families and the Sisters looked on, Alyssa and I expressed our desire to live and work here with the Sisters for the next 11 months, promising to live by the Rule of Benedict. I have to admit I was scared stiff at having to speak in front of such a large crowd, but it was a very moving ceremony, I loved every second of it. We stood in front of the community, as they all raised their hands and prayed over us, blessing us and promising to help us on this journey. It's pretty powerful stuff. This community really knows how to make someone feel welcomed beyond measure.

Lots of fun and games followed after the ceremony and dinner. My family, Alyssa's family, and a handful of Sisters played Catchphrase for awhile. My family and I played a few intense hands of Spoons back at our hermitage. It was loads of fun. It was a great way to round out such a wonderful evening.

It really was such a spectacular weekend. Having my family here was so wonderful, I'm so incredibly happy that I was able to see them for a couple of days, and to share in such a special event with them. I overwhelmingly have felt the love this weekend, from my family, and this community of women.

I know the coming months will be full of ups, and downs. I know some days I'm going to really wonder what I got myself into, yet other days I'm going to look at it all and know I'm exactly where I'm meant to be. I know that no matter what, I've got a lot of people standing beside me as I take on this adventure. God is with me every step of the way, and I'm putting my trust in Him.

I'm very excited to see what these coming months bring. I'll update again soon with some information about the ministries I'll be working in. I'm thinking this is enough for today :)

Here's the link to the Sister's official website, where we have a nice little write up and some great photos from the ceremony.

Reading my statement of promise as my mentor Sister Ann looks on


Receiving a blessing from the community

Me, my Mom, my Grandma and Sister Sallie


No comments:

Post a Comment