Monday, October 17, 2011

Unrelenting

The title has to do with a few things.

1- I'm still sick. Granted, I feel worlds better than I did on Wednesday and Thursday. But this cold will not.let.go. Dear mutant cold: You have given me (all at separate times) a sore throat, sinus headaches, chest congestion, coughing, sneezing, stolen my voice, I've almost cleared through an entire box of tissues, and I missed work last week. I think you've done it all. Move on. Its over. We're through.

2- Alyssa and I have been engrossed in this unending battle with two Sisters and a game called Sequence( see picture below for the game board). I think we've had 4 different face-offs at this point, each time playing numerous rounds of this game. It's the two of us versus the two of them every time. I will admit that they beat us when this all began, as Alyssa and I were still learning the game. But then we ran with it. We've won every time since then. This most recent time on Saturday night, we played 12 hands. We won 8 of those. We could have stopped when it was like 6 to 2, but they apparently just enjoy losing way too much to let up :)

3-  My excitement about being here, and doing this is strong as ever. I find myself sometimes just stopping, and looking at where I am and what I'm doing at that moment, and sometimes I can't believe it. I've said it a million times, I'll say it a million and ten more times, but these women really know how to make you feel welcome. We're not the outsiders, we're not the two young kids running around this place, we're part of their community, even if only for a short time. We were asked to be a big part of the Vigil Saturday night, which to me, is quite the honor. For more on that, check out Alyssa's Blog from this morning, because she pretty much stole the thoughts out of my brain.

4- Also ever increasing is my love of my jobs. SBEC is my big challenge, it's hard adjusting to being a teacher. But it's rewarding, it's fun, and it's growing on me. Kid's Cafe is still where my heart belongs, I feel it more everyday. Even today, when I was just not in the mood for all the attitude I was getting before we served dinner, I was ready to lose it. But I had a few of my girls who I'm growing close to completely turn my mood around. We played outside for a little bit and had a blast. I even had one of the girls try to put braids in my hair while I helped her tie her shoe. I thought it was cute and funny, but it h-u-r-t even though she only managed to keep me still for about 5 seconds. She definitely made my day :)

I guess all I can say is, keep it coming. I'm loving every second of this everyday.


Go team green :)



No comments:

Post a Comment