Friday, April 20, 2012

Why I Love the Sisters

I'm going to preface this post by saying that I'm in no way trying to represent the Benedictine Sisters of Erie with what I'm about to say, this is my own opinion and thought, that's it. That being said, please continue.

As I'm sure most of you have heard, the Vatican decided yesterday that it needed to crack down on the crazy, feminist sisters of the US.

Everyone, say it with me now: Are.you.kidding.me?

Evidently, some of the philosophies and programs established by women religious of the US do not adhere to church doctrine. Apparently advocating for women, children, the poor, needy and disadvantaged of this country are things the Vatican no longer approves of. When did church doctrine stop abiding by the teachings of Christ to love all people, to see all as equal and valid, no matter what?

Way to go. Did they approve of such things in the first place? I wonder. Tell me, what does the Vatican advocate anymore?

Let's forget what many of the men of the church have been up to in recent years, with scandals left and right. It appears the Church is looking for a major distraction from such issues, and found its scapegoat. Women religious (and lets be honest, most women with half a clue) are advocating for equal treatment of women, gay rights, womens reproductive rights, and ordination of woman, among other things. How dare we? Because, ya know, the men obviously know whats best for the women. They know what it's like to be denied necessary health care, to be treated like a second class citizen, to be voiceless in a world dominated by a clueless bunch of monkeys of the opposite sex. Right?

Oh yeah, that's right, THAT'S NEVER HAPPENED for them. And God forbid anyone challenge what the bishops say.

Tell you what, without the women religious of this country what would our health care or education systems look like? What would the Catholic faith as we know it in the US look like? How many Catholics in the US stay with the church for no reason other than women's religious communities and their experiences with them?

Guess what, gentlemen, the reason I love and stand by the Catholic faith is because of the sisters. They showed me that I don't have to agree with every rule set out by the Vatican, that there are other beliefs and practices out there that are very much Catholic and inline with who I want to be as a Catholic woman. Your way is not the only way, and I've found a place in the Catholic church that I can call my own. The sisters I know and love are having a huge impact on my life, and will continue to do so well into the future. Where would I be without them?

If I could say one thing to these Vatican officials it'd be this: you are clueless, and you don't even understand what it means to be a Catholic anymore because you're so out of touch with the real, everyday people of this faith- especially its women. Get a clue, get a grip, and realize that the world is changing. We're not living in the middle ages anymore, and your backwards, corrupt, patriarchal establishment needs to change if you want to see this church not only survive but thrive into the future.

I stand by my sisters, I stand by all women religious in this country. To take a few words from Sister Joan's response found here : "If everything you do has to be approved by somebody outside, then you’re giving your charism away, and you’re certainly demeaning the ability of women to make distinctions."

I encourage all of my readers to read up on this issue, sign this lovely petition here in support of our sisters, and tell the Vatican that we've had more than enough. Pass it along, get the word out there, support the women religious of this country.


1 comment: