Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Getaway

Sometimes you really just need a chance to get away. And I don't mean just heading home for a couple of days. I mean really get away.

The last few months have been crazy, to say the very least. About  2 months ago or so, in the midst of some sort of combined meltdown, Alyssa and I booked some super cheap bus tickets to head to Long Island to visit Michelle, our closest friend from college, and to spend a little time in NYC too- which I had never been to before.

Now, keep in mind this wasn't a total impulse. We'd talked to Michelle and had an idea that we wanted to visit sometime in June after she was done with school. But the impulse came at 10:30 at night on a particularly rough tuesday where we both finally said "we're doing this, and we're doing it now." and *boom* tickets were booked and a plan was being made. You can't beat $20 bus tickets (round trip!!) you just can't.

So that's how this little scheme was born. We had weeks to plan our trip and get really super excited for it. It was nice having something so great to look forward to. I hadn't seen Michelle since last June and having never been to New York City I was ridiculously excited to go.

It was a wonderful trip, to say the very least. It was great to be reunited with a close friend, and the 3 of us are quite a group, let me just say. It was fun just hanging out, getting to sleep in a little, doing whatever we wanted whenever we wanted to. It was nice to just be a normal 23 year old for a few days. I love it here at the monastery, I love my sisters, but of course I need chances to be a goofy, mildly impulsive, off-the-wall 23 year old.

We did way too much for me to rattle off here, but my favorite parts were going to see the Statue of Liberty and just walking around Times Square. I absolutely loved the city, all the lights and the people and the energy. I definitely have to make it back, sooner rather than later.

The adjustment now has been catching up on my sleep and readjusting to the schedule. I had a great time and it went way too fast for my liking, but it's nice to come back to all my sisters saying "welcome home!!! now tell me all about it." :)

Manhattan from Liberty Island
The 3 of us in Central Park. We belong on a postcard :)
Oh heyyyy Lady Liberty!
All excited about the bus ride to NYC...until the bus went into motion haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment