Sunday, November 13, 2011

Jumping In

In some not-so-exciting news: I've been sick again. This time with a sinus infection. So, at least if I'm going to be sick every couple of weeks, my body is changing it up and keeping me guessing. I learned (while at Urgent Care Saturday morning) that Erie is notorious for allergies and asthma, and this sinus infection is probably the result of high amounts of allergens in the air that I'm not used to. I tend to get one or two of these bad boys every year, so I'm sure I'll be going for a record this year considering the air around here.

Alyssa and I are learning very quickly that 1- we are slowly but surely working through the list of everything we can possibly participate in regarding prayer and liturgy and 2- the better we do these things, the more we'll be asked :)  Alyssa did incense at the vigil Saturday night. I don't think anyone can get enough of how she walks when she's in dance-mode.

The two of us also made our "debut" at Liturgy this morning by participating as two of the three servants in The Parable of the Talents. We had a few lines to memorize, 1 in Alyssa's case, and a small paragraph for me (which, by the way, go figure that the lazy servant has the most lines in the whole thing). During the Gospel reading, we had to step out and forward to say our parts. Now, I don't do well memorizing things, I don't do well acting out things, I get so nervous doing stuff like this that I usually just start fumbling and/or stuttering. So despite sweating nearly to death and having a heart racing a mile a minute, I got up and did my part really well (so I was told) and really enjoyed doing it (once it was over with). It was fun, but nothing I'll be jumping up and down to repeat anytime too terribly soon.

But really, I love participating in prayer and liturgy, even as nervous as I tend to get. As one Sister put it to Alyssa and I- the moment you stop getting a little nervous about getting up there, is when you're just not in it the right way. It's a huge part of being here, being a part of their community for this year means fully participating in everything we can. It means a lot to be asked to do these things.

And hey, it's probably good for me to be getting up in front of all these people doing all these things. Granted, I appreciate that fact more after I've gotten through the reading/light rite/recitation, not so much while I'm sitting in my seat waiting to get it over with :)

No comments:

Post a Comment