Monday, December 19, 2011

Christmas is in the Air

And on the ground in the form of snow- at least for the moment being. It finally snowed a decent amount this weekend and stuck! Nothing like snow to put you in the mood for Christmas, except for the fact that it's supposed to jump back up into the 40's and rain this week. But whatever, I'm basking in it while I can.

Another thing guaranteed to put you into the Christmas spirit would be the Christmas store at the Kid's Cafe which we had on Saturday. The Christmas store is put on every year so that the kids in our program can come and shop for themselves and for their families. All the presents are donated to us, and we had everything you could think of. We had nice, big presents for our kids to pick out one for themselves, and then they had 6 more presents they could chose for anyone in their family. We had gifts for mom, dad, grandparents, older sibling, younger siblings. You name it, we had it there at some point. I was in absolute awe of the number of gifts we had laid out on all the tables, and it was all really good, quality stuff that was donated.

My job was to help the kids around the store to pick out gifts for everyone on their list. They were so excited to pick out their own gift, but even more excited once I started to ask who else they wanted to shop for. They were so proud to shop for gifts for their family members. After they were done with me they were taken to another room where volunteers were writing up gift tags and then wrapping everything up for the kids before they left.

It was an amazing experience, and not half as chaotic as I was expecting. Having 70+ kids shop for Christmas sounds like it would be a fiasco, but we were very organized, and the kids were better behaved than I've ever witnessed on a normal day. Nothing like Christmas to put everyone into a great mood  :)

I wish I had some pictures to post! If I happen to get any in the near future from anyone, I'll be sure to put some up!

No comments:

Post a Comment