Sunday, December 11, 2011

"The Lord be with you."

Quiz time! The proper response is:

a) "and also with you."
b) "and with your spirit."
c) "and also......oh shoot!- withyourspirit"


If you said b, you'd be correct. If you said c, you've attended liturgy at the Mount sometime in the last 3 weeks :)

I'm sure the adjustments to the new Roman Missal translations are a struggle for Catholics everywhere. As one Sister put it to me today, the responses have been the same for an eternity, it's a hard adjustment when you're so used to just responding from the heart and now you're expected to read it from a paper.

I get it, I get it. It's a big adjustment. I've only been doing this stuff for a couple of years now, and I'm finding it difficult to adjust. I've caught myself starting with the old responses if I'm not thinking really hard about it before my mouth opens.

It's extra comical when our congregation here gets a friendly reminder from our liturgist every Sunday "Please note, the new responses are printed here for you. Read them." And wouldn't you know it, as soon as she compliments the class on doing a decent job with it last week, we revert back about 5 steps this morning. I'll give an "A" for effort though.

But everyone is in good spirits about it, we're only human after all, mistakes happen. You can catch most of the chapel giggling every time we all collectively flub our response. Old habits are hard to break.

A little more studying, a bit more practice, and we'll get our responses right. Maybe even by Easter :)

No comments:

Post a Comment