Friday, January 6, 2012

Back At It

I can't believe how much I missed work last week, which sounds odd even as I'm typing it. I've never missed work in my life. But I did, I missed the refugees I teach and I really missed my kids.

Something that absolutely made my day today: I was walking around after I finished cleaning up the cafeteria and kitchen at the Cafe and one of my favorite girls came walking up to me. I gave her a big hug and we walked with an arm thrown around each other out into the hall, and I told her I missed her a lot last week. She said "I missed you a lot yesterday, Miss Carrie." And it kind of smacked me in the face, the love of this child, who I know comes from almost nothing at home. A sweet, bright young girl who just needs some love and attention. I go away for one day a week, and she says she really misses me. I mean something to her, and she means something to me.

I get that from a few of the kids, but not as blunt as it was today. When the kids find out I don't come in on Thursdays they always seem a little alarmed, asking why. I just tell them I have other things I have to work on every Thursday.

They're also amazed when they learn I'm a volunteer and don't get paid to be there: "Why do you come here if you're not making money for it?" I always just say "I really like being here and spending time with you." Some look at me like I'm absolutely crazy, others get that it's not about money, it's about them, and they seem pretty happy with that.

I gotta say, I'm pretty happy with that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment