Monday, January 30, 2012

Birthday Adventures

I promised more on my birthday festivities, specifically a good story about a betta fish. So, here ya go.

At the Mount everyone is asked to fill out this little sheet with 2 things: 1- what kind of dessert you want on your birthday, and 2- name a few things you would like as a gift that cost $10 or less. I said I wanted carrot cake for my dessert (no raisins, of course) and for my gifts I listed a plant or some knick-knack type things to put on my shelves.

I got my carrot cake, which was delicious (raisins and all...) and my gifts were quite the surprise. I was standing in line for breakfast Wednesday morning when one Sister turned to me and asked "Do you like fish?" It being Wednesday I knew we were having fish for dinner so I said "Yeah, I don't mind salmon patties." to which she replied "No, kiddo, turn around and look at your gifts." There's a table by the door to the dining room where the gifts are always placed, and there stood a plant,a gift bag, and a betta fish in a little bowl.

Yep, I got a pet. I named it Squiggles right away and I was so excited all day to come home, open my other gifts and take the little guy downstairs. At dinner on your birthday the whole community sings to you, which is both very sweet and mildly overwhelming. After that I got to open my gifts which included my new plant (see below), the fish and some supplies for the little guy. Oh, and an envelope with $10 in it as an insurance policy just in case the fish decided to head to that great fishbowl in the sky a little prematurely.

Let me just say that insurance is always a good idea.

So after all the excitement at dinner, I found a large flower vase to house the little guy in until I could find a decent tank somewhere (which I did--for FREE which was so exciting). Alyssa and I were in my room while I opened the rest of my gifts and we watched the fish on my dresser as he kinda shook violently around. Alyssa joked that maybe he was having a seizure or something.

Too bad it wasn't a joke.

I had his new vase full of water and was letting it rest while the water purifying stuff worked its magic. I took the  plant out of the little bowl he was housed in and realized the fish was 1-not moving, 2- turning gray and 3- starting to go belly up. So not good. I hadn't even had this thing in my possession for an hour and it was already dead. Come to find out, people were taking bets all day on if this thing was alive or not, go figure.

So I ran back down the hall to get Alyssa, and we both decided he was definitely dead and that there was no way either one of us was about to flush this poor thing. So we ran upstairs and found a Sister we knew would assist us, blessed the poor fish and flushed him. I then proceeded to take the $10 I got and bought a new fish.

This one is still alive and well, and enjoying his nice new tank that I set up for him yesterday.

Never a boring moment in my life :)


My new plant
Meet Luc
He thinks he's a tough guy
Here's his tank!

No comments:

Post a Comment