Thursday, January 26, 2012

The More We Get Together-- Take 2

I'm giving this post the same title as last week because it's still extremely fitting to the week I've had for a reason or two.

The first being that last Friday Ann, my boss/director/supervisor/however-you-want-to-call-her at the Cafe, saw my post and immediately jumped on top of it- "We should teach the kids that song! It would be lovely!"

So cue me once again singing this song against my will in front of a group of people. But they're only my kids, and they loved it, even if they stared at me like I'm a crazy white girl for a moment or two after. Worth it. The kid's loved signing it, and we now have ourselves a Kid's Cafe Anthem. Hoorah!

Now, on Monday Ann started to tell the kids that it was my birthday on Wednesday. The kids were so excited, making me so many cards on Monday that I figured all the hype would be worn out by the time by birthday actually came about (I was wrong, but I'll get there). After dinner on Monday I noticed a bunch of the girls seemed to be missing, but I didn't think much of it, assuming they were at the gym or something.

That is until a couple of the girls came running into the room I was in telling me Ann needed me right away in her office. I walked into a room of 15 girls all singing at the tops of their lungs "The moooooooooore we get togetherrrrr, togetherrrrr, togetherrrrrrrrrrrrrr....." I was absolutely amazed, I loved it!

So Wednesday finally came along, and I received all the cards the kids had been making me all week. And when the kids showed up so many ran up to me and gave me a big hug, wishing me a happy birthday, and more cards were made and pictures were colored, and we had birthday cake and it was wonderful.

But they still weren't done. One more surprise was left after dinner. I was in the middle of a game of pool when two girls once again came rushing in to grab me up "Come quick, Miss Carrie!" and I was lead into a dark dining room, where only the Christmas lights around the windows were lit. And I heard lots of giggles. Then all of a sudden 20 kids jumped up from behind a table, yelling surprise, signing happy birthday, and of course reprising their favorite "The More We Get Together." It still absolutely floored me.

It's been amazing to see what these kids will do to make sure someone has a special day, or even a special week like I had. They were so proud to surprise me with drawings, cards, messages on the chalk board, hugs, and songs whenever they had the chance. 

I love those kids. I'll be sure to hang onto that when things turn back to normal and I'm ready to throttle them next week :P

Hands down, one of the best birthdays I've ever had, and that was just at work! It was made very special at the Mount as well, but I'll save that one for Monday I think. I've got a good story about a betta fish I might share, so stay tuned :)


In totally unrelated news, check out Alyssa and I giving an interview about the beginning of our experience at the Mount here

No comments:

Post a Comment