Thursday, February 2, 2012

Turning Corners

I believe I've turned a corner with some of my kids at the Cafe. Some of the kids who have been the absolute hardest on me are starting to change their game a little bit, and I must say that I like it a lot.

I'm thinking of one girl in particular who from day one has challenged me left and right. She would constantly challenge everything I said to her, giving me no end of attitude and grief. But in the last couple of weeks I've been noticing a huge change in her, and I'm not sure what's triggering it.

She's been really nice, and sweet, and gives me hugs now. She mouths off much less, and when she does she immediately turns around and says she's sorry. And part of me knows she's only mouthy to impress her friends. She doesn't combat every last thing I say to her, and she's been more than willing to help me with chores around the Cafe when I ask. It's really been something else.

What really got me the other day was this: we were outside playing on an abnormally warm January day and after screwing around for awhile she stopped and said "Miss Carrie, I love you, you're like a big sister to me. Are you going to stay here for a lot of years with us?"

"Wow" doesn't even sum up what I thought when she said that. I told her she's a wonderful kid, and that I loved her too. I said I didn't know how long I would be working there with them, but that no matter how long or short it would be, I was happy for every minute of it.

And she's not the only one I've been able to build up a good relationship with. I've been there for about 5 months now, and it has taken just about this whole time for me to come into my own there. I was talking to my Mom about it last week, and I was telling her that I've decided to stay on at the Kid's Cafe for the second half of my stay here. I'm just now really starting to get it, and the kids are just now really starting to get me, I wouldn't leave that now for anything in the world.

I'm also turning another corner in that my time at SBEC is coming to an end next Friday. As I'm hitting the half way point in my year here, I think I'm ready for a different challenge and a different way to spend my mornings. It's been wonderful there, I've enjoyed working with the refugees, and I'll miss them. But part of my time here is about experiencing all I can, and while I'm not sure what my next placement will be just yet, I know it will be exciting and something brand new. I'm pretty excited :)

No comments:

Post a Comment