Monday, August 22, 2011

A Change of Pace

Well, I'm here and all moved in to my new home for the next year. It's been a good couple of days, taking the weekend to get settled in and start the process of adjusting to life at the Mount. Saturday was filled with lots of warm welcomes from the community. Sunday was a perfect day with Liturgy in the morning and the chance for Alyssa and I to explore Erie a little. It just felt really nice to have a Sunday afternoon completely free to relax and just enjoy. That evening we were taught a card game by some of the Sisters that I'm sure we'll be quizzed on soon, I probably should have taken better notes!

Today started our month long adventure of trying out all the different ministries, we have a busy and exciting week ahead. My day started out at the food pantry where I helped check everyone in. I was very humbled by the interactions I had with almost every person who came through the line this morning. Having worked for years in customer service of some kind or another, I have found that a fair share of people just never seem happy, they always seem to have something to be grumpy about. Yet today, I sat for hours greeting and talking to so many people, who for whatever personal reasons, needed help in providing food for their families. But not one person I spoke with today had anything negative to say, they smiled and carried on like they were on top of the world. Over and over again I would hear them say the same things "Ya know, I'm not having a great couple of days, but I'm blessed. I'm alive, and I am blessed."

Isn't that something we should consider a little more? I know I should. I have days that just aren't the best, we all do, but I need to stop and remember I have so much to be thankful for.

These last few days have been a good change of pace. I'm finding more time to relax, and to just stop and enjoy simple things like this gorgeous weather or the chance to go for a walk in the woods after dinner. It's nice doing work that feels more fulfilling than what I've been doing all summer. It's nice to slow down a little. I'm looking forward to the experiences of the next few days.

Without a doubt I can say that I am blessed.

Peace,
Carrie

(Photo courtesy of Alyssa-- a beautiful evening sky on a Sunday night walk around the grounds)

No comments:

Post a Comment