Monday, August 29, 2011

Weekend Happenings, and Then Some

It was a great weekend here in Erie. Alyssa's grandparents visited for a few hours Saturday afternoon, and it was really great to see them. Otherwise the afternoon was spent relaxing and reading, one of my absolute favorite ways to spend an afternoon.

That evening we were invited for a night out at the Zabawa Polish Festival in town. What.a.blast. We ran into quite a few familiar faces, watched (but did not join!) some great polka dancing, and enjoyed some great Polish food and drinks. Na zdrowie!

Sunday was another great day to relax and enjoy the beautiful weather. Liturgy was great in the morning, and was followed by the chance to play with a visiting dog named Bear. I may or may not have really wanted to dog-nap him, but I refrained! After lunch Alyssa and I packed up our bikes into her car and headed out to the peninsula for an afternoon ride. We went about 6 miles round trip, and it felt great! The view was spectacular the whole ride, I can't quite get enough of spending time on Presque Isle, and we're trying to soak it all up before the snow flies.

Today has been a day jam packed with work, and it's been a really great day. I spent the morning at the food pantry, handing out boxes of food this time. The people who came down the line were more than happy to strike up a good conversation, and all just so thankful to see some smiling faces. One man told every one of us as he walked down the line "I prayed for you this morning, thank you so much for what you do." and it's really stuck with me all day.

My afternoon was spent at the Saint Benedict's Education Center where I helped out in a classroom of refugees. They were learning about money, grocery shopping, and getting change back, but we started the lesson off with a few songs that they all really enjoyed. I somehow agreed to lead them in singing "Row Row Row Your Boat" and "The More We Get Together" all by myself, and their smiles were priceless as they listened and then joined in. They were all in such good spirits, and kept me laughing all afternoon. I had such a great time with them, and I can't wait to go back tomorrow to the same room.

But the day is not done! Alyssa and I are going to a SeaWolves baseball game tonight with a group of Sisters, and I'm beyond excited. It should without a doubt be a fun filled evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment