Monday, August 8, 2011

The (failed) Art of Packing

Packing is, in short, absurd.

I've never mentioned on here how much I really just don't like the chore of packing. It wasn't really terrible when I used to be able to just take everything from school, leave it stored in the basement untouched all summer, and then drag it upstairs again come August, load up the car, and be on my way.

This time though, I don't need half of what I used to have at school. No kitchen stuff is a biggie. That saves me a lot of space. And that part is easy, all the kitchen stuff is in 2 massive containers downstairs. Done and done.

But it's going to be hard to condense down everything else for this coming year. The biggest thing is clothes- I have way too many. I'm a girl, what do you want from me? And I think almost all of us have a little weight fluctuation while in college, so a lot of this stuff doesn't fit anymore, it's just around in case I lose a few pounds and my current stuff stop fitting. Honestly, I need to just clear out my large duffel bag already and stop hanging onto quite so much clothing. If I happen to need a couple new pairs of pants in the next few months I can go out and buy them. In the mean time, I don't have a lot of space for a mound of "what-if" clothing.

Ok, so there's a promise to myself, I'm going to march upstairs and clean out that massive bag once and for all.

I'm also huge on decorating my room, I always have been since I was a kid. I like a lot on my walls or on my shelves to make a space feel homey and comfortable. I have a few knick-knacks I always like to have on my desk or dresser, I have lots of pictures/posters/etc that I like to have on my walls. I like to put myself into my room, make it my own. And I really like to have things to look at while I'm falling asleep and my mind wanders endlessly.

I went through a lot of this stuff earlier this afternoon and condensed it down quite a bit. Most of what I'm taking is going to be pictures, I'm an absolute picture nut. But I am definitely trying to tone it down from what I've decorated my room with in the past, my walls would be covered in posters, a couple flags, pictures everywhere. I'm not decorating a dorm room anymore, so I'm trying to simplify it. I will probably pack more decorative stuff than I will use, but I'll see how I can transform my little room at the Mount into my own little sanctuary, without going overboard.

So I guess I'm trying to find my happy medium between packing way too much stuff (which is my usual) and not having enough, or more specifically, the things I really need. It's amazing how much stuff just accumulates in 4 years. I still even have stuff in boxes upstairs in my sister's closet (my old room) from when I was in high school. A lot of it needs to just be thrown away finally. But it's hard to just throw out things that hold memories. Same with a lot of this stuff from the last four years, there's a lot of memories there.

But, I know how good it feels to donate old clothes, books and things I know I'll never touch again. It feels good to finally make some free space (the possibilities are endless for it!) But above all, it's that much less crud that I have to move out someday when I have my own place again :)

Hopefully I'll stop pushing off this packing thing. I've done a couple of hour-long stints in the last couple of weeks, just trying to get a start on it, which is the hardest part. But I keep stopping, "eh, it will be easier to pack when it's almost time to go." hellllllloooooooo, it is almost time to go, we're talking less than two weeks here! And I keep reminding myself that I don't want to spend my last few days home worrying about packing, I just want to spend those last three days after I finish work and before I leave just relaxing with my family, instead of running around like a lunatic and just cramming stuff into this box or that bag.

Wish me luck with the rest of this beastly task, I know it's not going down without a fight!

Peace,
Carrie

No comments:

Post a Comment