Monday, March 19, 2012

On the Other Side

It's really interesting to be on the other side of things as I've seen the student groups come here to spend their service weeks. We had Canisius back in January, and Ohio Wesleyan University was here last week.

It was one thing to come for the first time just as a student on the trip, walking through the doors and really not knowing what to expect of a week in a monastery. It was another thing to then lead a group the following year, helping my team prepare for this and then watching their faces as we walked in the doors for the first time and jumped right in. It's a completely different experience to watch these other groups of students, most of whom I'm never met, and see how they enjoy their time here.

It's fun to see their faces when they walk in or how they look around in awe at the chapel at their first prayer gathering. It's interesting to see how they look around the dining room for a spot to sit. It's even more interesting to see how they start out so shy and quiet in the first couple of days, but then quickly open up completely to everyone.

It makes me wonder what I looked like my first time here. I'm sure not all too different from what I've seen now on this side of the fence. I'd pay good money to see a video of myself in my first day or two here a couple of years ago.

Now look at me. I've been living here for almost 7 months. I'm so natural in this atmosphere and around these women that you'd think I've been here for ages. I guess it's one thing I love so much about this place and these women- you don't ever have to be something you're not. I can be loud and goofy, I can be serious and quiet, I can be anything in between. And no matter how I am that day or in that particular conversation, I'm embraced for who I am- loud, silly, quiet, and all.

It's really what I love, and I'd bet it's why most of the students and any guests, who come here to visit love it here and want to come back. No matter how long your stay- a day, a week, a whole year- you're embraced as being one of the community, just the way you are. To borrow a term from some of the OWU girls, you're not the "other".

You're allowed to just be, whatever that means for you. Who doesn't want that? No wonder I was hooked on this place after my very first afternoon visit. And how blessed I am now to be spending a whole year in such a positive space before I take on the next phase of my life.

I don't believe it gets much better than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment