Thursday, March 29, 2012

One Moment.

Every day I try to find one moment that just makes my entire day.

Some days it's way more difficult than others. If I'm having a particularly bad day at the Cafe it could be something as simple as a child saying "thanks." Some days I find myself not being able to pull out anything- and that's when I know my heart wasn't in the right place that day. Luckily, that's only happened a couple of times.

Yesterday was another Wednesday that seemed like it was never going to end. Wednesday usually seems to be the hardest day of my week. I think the kids have a rough day because it's the middle of the week, and they're antsy for the weekend already. I think by Wednesday afternoon I'm so desperate for some peace and quiet on my reflection day, I'm fighting up that last little bit of the mountain until I get to relax. Maybe God has a really good sense of humor and knows that since I do have the next day of peace and quiet, I should have to really earn it on Wednesday.

Anyway, I found myself in the midst of a crazy, hectic, wild afternoon at the Cafe. I came with a raging headache and feeling a little woozy thanks to a bit of a gas leak at the Soup Kitchen, courtesy of an oven burner not wanting to stay lit. Starting the afternoon with a headache is always recipe for disaster, as my kiddos have one volume, and it happens to be 11.

I was standing in front of my line-up of kids on the time out bench, ready to burst when one of our little ones came up to me. I was in the middle of disciplining the bench when she started practically climbing up my arm yelling my name. I bent down to see what she wanted and she said "Miss Carrie, can we pray?" I said sure, and asked her what for. "That lady in there with the broken knee, I want to pray for her so she feels better." She grabbed my hand with both of her's, and I wrapped my other hand around her's and told her to lead the way. She closed her little eyes and said a prayer with all she had in her- "Dear God, I hope Ms. Kathy feels better." She sat in silence for a moment, with her eyes still shut tight and I said quietly to her "Amen?" and she jumped up, arms in the air shouting "Amen!"

That bursting feeling in my head went straight to my heart after that. She's one kid I can always count on to brighten my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment